Monday, October 8, 2007

Justin Boyd - Playwright

Justin reports:

Kathy and I live in Brooklyn, and we see fellow OU playwrights Chantal Bilodeau and Melissa Gawlowski fairly often. I’ve been keeping busy with writing and applying/submitting for EVERYTHING. Most recently, my play, Copy Man, was produced in August in Columbia, SC by Trustus Theater. It was a short run, but the play was well-received. In other playwriting news, I’m a 2007-2008 Dramatists Guild Fellow, which is a bi-weekly writers workshop, plus mentoring by, and occasional sessions with, theater bigwigs.

I’m also doing some theater journalism. I co-edit the Theater section of the Brooklyn Rail(www.brooklynrail.org). We cover mainly downtown and outer-borough artists and productions, a lot of stuff you don’t see in the Times or even the Village Voice. I’ve got an article in our October issue on Jason Grote’s excellent new play 1001, which is having its NYC premiere this month. I’m also an Affiliated Writer this year with American Theater magazine, which is a year-long association through which I’ll write three feature-length stories. My first – a profile of the director Anne Kauffman – was published in the October issue.

No comments: